- Although it may sound somewhat strange to an outsider, elves have struggled for a long time to find an identity distinct from humans. From the beginning, they were everything that man was not; tall where he was short, thin where he was strong. Their connection to the world around them waxes and wanes as the magic suffusing the world ebbs and flows. Even before the Conjunction, the world the elves felt so connected to was constantly changing and flowing, often taking them with it—whether they wanted to go or not.
- Now, of course, things have changed. Some elves fear the sudden disconnect, retreating into the woods and wild places, uncovering old links to their Wildlands kin and reopening old questions about which came first,
the chicken or thelf or man. Perhaps, what with portals being as random as they are, and the Wildlands being so strewn with the bloody things, maybe the elves just wandered over and forgot how to get home. The elves of the Middle Realm are quite distinct from the Eladrin, but over time and given their intense connection to the land, it seems plausible.
- Many other elves, on the other hand, relish the chance to finally be free of the cycles of empire and decay that once ruled the Middle Realm. They are perhaps uniquely glad to now be but a member of a vast panoply of sentient races as opposed to one of two, always locked in a tussle to prove which is the top dog. Now they have a great deal of other dogs to wrestle with, and although they’d certainly enjoy it if they wind up number one, they’d be happy to settle for anything other than last.
- Elves tend to be lithe and tall. As such, most elves exercise in ways that increase their Dexterity, granting them a +2 bonus. They are also on the whole a fairly spiritual people, veneration of nature being the primary expression of this trend, netting them +2 Wisdom. Of course, individual elves may practice what they wish or focus their mental efforts elsewhere, enabling them to move one of these bonuses to any other stat they choose. (See House Rule G for more information.)
- Elves are “large”, at least as far as humans are concerned. They may or may not be more or less “large” than other “large” species. Void where applicable.
Oh, a nature-lover, are we? Or perhaps you merely enjoy fine elvish activities like archery, sneaking about in the woods, and making humans look like the stubby porcine things they so truly are? In any event, if you’ve made your choice, please decide on an occupation to pursue as an adult. If not, please return to Worlds or Sentient Beings.